- Province will buy surplus canners (lobster one pound and under) for storage and later sale.
- Province will extend low-interest loan plan.
- Joint federal-provincial marketing promotion worth CAD 4 million (USD 3.5 million).
- Changes to Employment Insurance rules.
- Reduction in number of lobster licences by way of a buy-back programme.
Here is the link to the CBC's website giving the news:
Interesting to note is that the Federal Fisheries Minister, Ms Gail Shea, was very reluctant to provide federal support to lobster fishermen ("no federal price subsidies, no federal buying of lobster"). She was also quoted as saying that "providing Maritimes lobster fishermen with subsidies in this time of low prices would violate Canada's trade agreement with the United States".
And the links on Minister Shea's statements: